Friday, September 23, 2011

Well or Wall?

My garden sweet, enclosed with walles strong- George Cavendish - 1500

Is it Stone Well or Stone Wall? 

 So close I know , so let me clear it up for you.  When my family first moved into our home we were blessed with a very old and very much loved garden. One of the most intriguing features was a beautiful old stone well, crafted by a former owner of limestone and iron.  The well was strictly ornamental I discovered, but I also discovered some fascinating stories told by neighbors and family members of the generations behind me.  The first family to live here, and to build the home, was headed by a young German immigrant who's profession was "Gardener"! Tragedy struck his young family when Typhoid took his wife and two children.  It was always thought that a well on the property was the source, though never proved.  This story made the stone well seem much more than an ornament - and when I searched for a name for my new gardening business, the well seemed to be the perfect thing.





This is my stone well in summer, smothered by ancient trumpet vines,to the delight of the hummingbirds

But what about the Stone wall?



Well (no pun intended) I have one of those also- but it came much later to this garden, crafted by my husband after a trip to England inspired me. It is the perfect backdrop for my collection of old roses, and adds the elements of enclosure and permanence to the garden


A rock pile ceases to be a rockpile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral
-Antoine de St. Exupery


Now, one more word about my identity, I am presently out there with two different names.  I won't bore you with the details, but a simple typo on my part has created a situation that I am working to resolve.  So . . . . I am Stone Well Garden, and Stone Well Gardens.  That silly little "s" is the culprit!  

So bear with me, keep visiting me here, and remember to dip onto your own well of inspiration often!

With Paper and Paint

1 comment:

  1. I will remember the difference, and retract all the things I said about the blog

    ReplyDelete