Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Caught In the Web

For the bird a nest, the spider a web, for man, friendship - William Blake


The garden holds many surprises for me every day, and late summer is guaranteed to provide a brush with the whisper soft touch of a spider web.  Walking through the garden in the early morning I am often caught unaware by the sudden , almost invisible barrier that has miraculously been constructed during the night before.  If the dew is heavy, the intricate work of the spider's artistry will be dotted with tiny jewels, and if I'm lucky the artist herself will be present. Sometimes I go and fetch my mister  bottle from my art table, then spray the web with a very delicate touch , highlighting all the details without disturbing the web




"Whats so miraculous about a spider's web," said Mrs. Arabele.  "I dont see why you say a web is a miracle - it's just a web."
"Ever try to spin one?" asked Dr. Donan.
Mrs Arabele shifted uneasily in her chair. "No," she replied, "But I can crochet a doily and I can knit a sock!"
                        E.B. White, Charlotte's Web



This image is slightly raised , with white paint on a black art board. The web was misted with the paint and then very carefully caught from behind on the board.
The handwritten note on the back of this vintage piece reads:


– Micrathena spiderweb, collected in the Mackinaw River Valley 8/86






The spider's web has inspired designs and motifs  in every medium, You will find the intricate and fascinating line work in crochet patterns, embroidery, iron work , stained glass, even fabulous jewelry to name a few. and is it any wonder? Just take a few moments to really look at the next web you come across in your garden - really look! You will be mesmerized.

With Paper and Paint

2 comments:

  1. Dear Jan,

    So wonderful to hear from you and to catch up a little bit. I enjoyed just sitting and reading your posts.

    I love what you write and create. Keep up the great work. Did you attend IHA this year? I miss the deep friendships we all cultivated.

    All joys,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I will pay closer attention to, and appreciate more, the next spider web I come across!

    ReplyDelete