Monday, August 22, 2011

Who's The Boss?


If you think being small means you cant be effective, you have never been in bed with a Mosquito - or in the garden with a cranky Jenny Wren


Well, I have to admit that  my presence out there in that little corner of my garden might have been unfamiliar that morning, and the vacation that took me away for what seemed like a very quick week to me probably seemed like  a lifetime to my little feathered friends.


I barely stepped into the shelter of the lilac bush when the scolding began- and I was informed in no uncertain terms that I was not welcome.  I could see the bird hoping frantically about between the branches,  and I assured him in my softest voice that I meant no harm and just wanted to work
quietly along side him.  But my words did not offer any comfort, so I began my weeding chores and waited for him to get used to me.


I love the Jenny Wrens, and they have favored me for years with their presence, settling into the little houses I scatter about for them. They are protective of their territory, and the volume and consistency of their warning call is so out of proportion to their size that I cant help but be amazed over and over again. They have my admiration, but I can be just a determined as they can. They have their work and I have mine, and we never fail to settle into an unspoken agreement eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment